Calorie Content of Honey

The calorie content of honey: 100g of honey contains 285 kcal/1194 kJ.

In 100g of honey, the following can be found:

  • 0.3-0.4g of protein
  • 0g of fat
  • 77-84g of carbohydrates
  • 0g of fiber

Honey is approximately 20% water, while the remaining 80% consists of sugars, mainly glucose and fructose. Honey also contains natural antioxidants, vitamins (such as B1, B2, B6, and vitamin C), and minerals (calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, etc.).

The glycemic index of natural honey is 55. This value falls into the low range of 0-55, meaning its consumption does not significantly raise blood sugar levels.

Calorie Content of Honey

Carbohydrate content of honey:

Honey is an excellent source of carbohydrates, with a carbohydrate content of 81.3%. It is mainly composed of glucose, fructose, and sucrose.

Refined sugar

Refined sugar (sucrose) is commonly derived from sugar beets or sugarcane. The sliced plant material is soaked, pressed, purified, and then crystallized into a syrup that is free from impurities and organic matter. Due to the lengthy industrial process, refined sugar is often perceived as an artificial substance, while honey is recognized as a natural sweetener. In terms of calorie content, honey and refined sugar can be considered nearly equal, meaning they contribute to weight gain in equal measure. From this perspective, honey cannot be deemed healthier.

Honey or sugar

However, the advantage of honey over sugar lies in its glycemic index. While refined sugar has a glycemic index of 68, honey generally falls around 50-55. (Carbohydrates consumed with food are converted into glucose in the body, and when glucose is absorbed, it raises blood sugar levels. The glycemic index (GI value) indicates how quickly carbohydrates are converted into glucose on a scale of 100. A lower value implies slower conversion and absorption, resulting in a lesser increase in blood sugar levels.)

To summarize

The advantage of honey over sugar is that it contains more vitamins and minerals, has a high antioxidant content, and can have a positive impact on the body when consumed in small quantities (e.g., 1-2 tablespoons in tea during a cold). However, its energy content is nearly identical to sugar, so it is not recommended to rely on honey as a significant source of vitamins and minerals. Vegetables, fruits, and whole grains are much more suitable for that purpose.

Additional beneficial properties: The natural antioxidants present in honey (flavonoids, vitamin C) protect the body from free radicals produced during metabolism and defend against bacteria.

Back to the articles in the category

error: Protected content