Sugar content of honey

The sugar content of honey is approximately 30-50% glucose, 20-45% fructose, and 1-10% sucrose.

Carbohydrate content of honey.

Honey is an excellent source of carbohydrates, with a carbohydrate content of 81.3%, mainly composed of glucose and fructose from grape sugar and fruit sugar, as well as sucrose.

Caloric content of honey

100 grams of honey contains 285 kcal/1194 kJ.

For every 100 grams of honey, the following is included:

  • 0.3-0.4 grams of protein
  • 0 grams of fat
  • 77-84 grams of carbohydrates
  • 0 grams of fiber

Honey is approximately 20% water, while the remaining 80% consists of sugars, primarily glucose and fructose. Honey also contains natural antioxidants, vitamins (such as B1, B2, B6, and C), and minerals (calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, etc.).

Refined sugar

The most commonly used refined sugar (sucrose) is derived from sugar beets or sugarcane. The sliced plants are soaked, pressed, purified, and then the sugar syrup, free from impurities and organic matter, is crystallized. Due to the lengthy industrial process, refined sugar is often considered an artificial substance, while honey is regarded as a natural sweetener.

Since the calorie content of honey and refined sugar is considered nearly the same, meaning they contribute to weight gain in equal measures, honey cannot be deemed healthier in this regard.

Honey or sugar

However, what may sway the decision in favor of honey is the glycemic index: while the glycemic index of refined sugar is around 68, honey generally ranges from 50 to 55. (Carbohydrates consumed with food are converted to glucose in the body, and once absorbed, glucose raises blood sugar levels. The glycemic index (GI value) indicates, on a scale of 100, how quickly carbohydrates turn into glucose. A lower value implies a slower conversion and absorption, which results in a less significant increase in blood sugar levels.)

The advantage of honey over sugar is that it contains more vitamins and minerals, has a high antioxidant content, and when consumed in small quantities (e.g., 1-2 tablespoons in tea for colds), it does have a positive effect on the body. However, its energy content is nearly the same as sugar, so it is not recommended to rely on honey for vitamin and mineral supplementation in large quantities. Vegetables, fruits, and whole grains are much more suitable for that purpose.

Additional beneficial properties: The natural antioxidants in honey (such as flavonoids and vitamin C) protect the body from free radicals generated during metabolism and defense against bacteria.”

Back to the articles in the category

error: Protected content